Tuesday, March 1, 2011

U Bahn-venture

From speaking to Susan, I hear that the fire threat is lessened. I hope those affected the most seriously will be comforted and strengthened by both friends, relatives, other supporters, and most of all, assistance from above.

Schnitzel Consumption Count: 8 (latest one was "huhn"-chicken)

The U-Bahn is the “subway” service for Vienna. Part of an amazing public transportation system of subway, trams. and buses, the U Bahn actually travels on tracks above the city (for the part on which rode today, anyway). It reminds me of a Six-Flag ride combined with a tram at DFW Airport. The one I rode was red with the bars onto which you may hold while riding, painted yellow. There are many platforms around the city and there are six different lines. Each line has a color. The one closest to the Villa is U6. It is the Brown line. The stop is called AM Schopwerk. This is also the name of the major street near our lane. Other colors designated on the line include, Red, Green, Purple, etc.

Each line courses through the city and don’t worry too much if you miss one, another will rumble into the station in about 6-8 minutes. To return to your destination, you will have to change lines. None of the lines goes in a circle. I suppose you could ride from one end to another and then get back on and ride it back.

The procedure to ride the U Bahn begins at the station where you can buy various kinds of tickets ranging from one stop to a monthly pass for many stops. Prices start at 1.80 Euros and go up from there. A good visitor pass for 72 hours is about 16.50 Euros each. Once you receive your ticket from the machine, you pass through a configuration of two poles about 5 feet apart. On the pole sits a blue box with a slot resembling a credit card or atm slot. Through this slot one inserts his ticket for validation, removes it and retains it for the duration of the trip.

Note: there is NO booth and nobody taking your ticket. Random checks of the tickets are, however performed by uniformed and plain-clothes officials. So hypothetically, you COULD ride the U Bahn for free, a lot, and never be caught. You COULD also be caught and fined 70 Euros. If you have no I.D. you will also be taking a trip to the local Polezei (police) station.

So today, I decided to walk for my sight seeing adventure, in a different direction. I headed south to one of the thousands of pedistrian / bike paths and walked, passing the usual sights. Runners, women pushing strollers, people with dogs, (on AND off leash) and Nordic Ski walkers. Sight after sight caught my eye but I knew where I was at all times.

Until I realized that I didn’t.

Not to worry, just use your amazing sense of urban navigation skills and re-orient yourself back to a familiar landmark.

Nope.

Walking now, not wanting to call a local and be rescued by a gps-equipped savior. Of course, I wouldn’t ask directions. Even IF I spoke the language.

Getting dark. Not really going to see any landmarks very well now anyway.

Hey, isn’t that a U Bahn station.?

It is a Brown U6 line, so it HAS to go to the stop near our house.

Ok. Time to learn about U Bahn riding. I climb the two flights of stairs to the platform and try to decipher the German information. I see AM Shopwerk but don’t know onto which train I should board. I look at the stops on this side of the two tracks, and then go down the steps and up the other side to the platform facing the one on which I just stood. This one does NOT stop at my stop. Go back to the other.

When I got back, I could not understand the ticket machine. I later learned the screen can be changed to English. But I didn’t know that then. A lady was buying a ticket and I launched into my “Sprechen sie English” routine. No. Nein. I helplessly motioned to the machine and she took my euros, purchased a ticket for me, and got in line for the arriving train.

“Danke”

“Bitte Shon”

I triumphantly board the train, looking around like I just boarded my first ride at Six Flags of Disney World. All of my fellow riders seemed much less than amazed than I at the upcoming ride. The voice on the p.a. says something soothing in German, (which is a feat, because to me, German sounds like the speaker is always mad) and we lurch away from the station. Cityscapes pass by at about 50 mph. In a matter of minutes, we arrive at AM Schopwerk station. A little disappointed, I dis-embark. I wanted to ride longer.

Before I exit the station, I am glad to see a sign on a door that proclaims “Pissoir”. These are not to be confused with a “WC” (water closet). In a WC, one can relieve themselves in either of the natural excretory methods. The Pissoir, however, is exclusively for the “guys only” method of relieving one’s self.

So I arrive back at the Villa and relate my story to Johnathan. At the part where I talk about buying the ticket, he asks me if I validated my ticket. I ask what that means. He replied that that was the act of putting the ticket in the slot that resembles the ATM slot.

Whoops. Forgot.

So my first ride on the U Bahn was actually illegal. But the good news is that didn’t get caught AND I still have a ticket I can use to ride the next time I need to catch a ride. So I got that going for me.

Which is nice.

See you.

1 comment:

  1. Quote
    "The procedure to ride the U Bahn begins at the station where you can buy various kinds of tickets ranging from one stop to a monthly pass for many stops. Prices start at 1.80 Euros and go up from there. A good visitor pass for 72 hours is about 16.50 Euros each. Once you receive your ticket from the machine, you pass through a configuration of two poles about 5 feet apart. On the pole sits a blue box with a slot resembling a credit card or atm slot. Through this slot one inserts his ticket for validation, removes it and retains it for the duration of the trip."

    if you drive more often using public transportation in the month, a monthly pass for 45euro is the best choice.
    the monthly ticket must not devalue it, and you can have unlimited travel day and night.
    But one must note that it is only valid until the end of the month beginning

    ReplyDelete