Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Valking" in Vienna can "Vear" You Out.


Today, after a little film study, I set out to find another historical site. The Augustiner Kirch is a church built in the late 1300s. Napoleon wed his Austrian bride, Maria Louisa, there AND the hearts of 4o plus Austrian Emperors are contained in urns within the confines of the cathedral.
After a trip on the U Bahn that included a stop near a Vapiano (that I resisted; momentarily) at the Herrengasse stop. I was headed toward where I thought the church was when I encountered an attraction that is near to the heart of my parents in Freedom, Ok. What I have always known as the Lippenzaner Stallions. These internationally equine residents of the Hofburg are trained and pampered in a courtyard in part of the Hofburg. I also stumbled across the gift shop and purchased some "goodies" for the folks back in Freedom.





The stallions were just chillin' in their stalls today. About a dozen "horse-keepers" attended to their needs.








After leaving the famous equine residents of Austria, I encountered a group that turned out to be congregated around the entrance of the Augustiner Kirche. I was amazed that there was no admission fee and went in. I was impressed with the architecture and the reverence oozed from its 700 year old walls. I sidled up to some tour groups in order to overhear some tidbits of info and was reminded that I don't speak German. I began to take pics when the camera batteries expired. I got the following and a couple with my phone. I will publish more later.


The view from the back. Napoleon's wedding was held in the front.

(I was late and missed it)

From the hushed tones spoken around this part of the church, I gathered that this was where the urns containing the hearts of over 40 Austrian Emperors were interred. I am unsure where the rest of the Emperors are.






Augustinerkirche; the hearts of Emperors reside within.






Upon leaving the church, I was drawn back to the Hofburg. I passed through the "Heroe's Gate" guarded by 7 sculptures of Hercules and was reminded that this place never gets old for me to view. I am constantly impressed by the age and of the city and the efforts put forth over the centuries.

Flo Seidl informed me that Austrian statues featuring riders mounted on horses with one foot in the air, died in battle. I surmised that from all that I saw, Austria lost a lot of leaders in battle. I tend to agree with General Patton when he suggested that one should make the OTHER guy die for his country.






This leader must have met a really violent end. Both feet off the ground.












View toward the Hofburg from the in the Museumquartier. I never get tired of this area.











Whoa! D#mnit!!!
















My attention turned to Vapiano and then the old Austrian traditional establishment, STARBUCKS! Austrians actually HATE Starbucks. They don't really say why except to say that American coffee is like dirt in water. I haven't informed them that the coffee I buy from Starbuck's is from Kenya (not yet added to the American Empire as of this writing)












Coffee and Chocolate Turtle cake at Starbucks. Across the street from the Imperial Palace (Hofburg)










I visited the Naschmarkt again and again, no pictures. I think the vendor's food is too distracting. My feet were really hurting after all the walking that is entailed from my wanderings (from being lost, mostly). I decided to return home but as Am Shoepwerk station approached, I decided I wanted to see the Danube. I reversed the direction back toward the north and rode about a dozen and a half stops till I reached Nue Danue (or something like that). I walked down the well maintained walkway to the well maintained bike path (one of thousands of mile of them). I enticed a little old lady who had taken a break from her nordic walking to take my picture. Without the benefit of English. I finally got the request across and afte several attempts, I got my picture at the Danube.





By the Danube.

















Evening on the banks of the Danube. (Slightly more water than inthe Red River between Altus and Vernon, Tx.)







I arrived about 6 hours after embarking on my adventure. Saw a lot of sights. Walked a ton of miles. My feet are reminding me of the latter statement. It can "vear" you out when you "valk" on the "vest" side of Vienna.

P.S.
Also, it is official, this time my sight-seeing trip was lacking my best friend who lived up to her commitment to her students and returned to the states. I can enjoy this only so much while she is NOT with me. I hope the students, parents, teachers, and administrators appreciate her decision and this year, as for me, now more than ever, I can't wait till school's out for summer.

I am grateful to and proud of the Altus Teacher of the Year.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud that she came back to school- I truly did NOT think she would. Trust me- her heart is Austria!!!!! I can't wait for you two to be reunited-then I will have my "real" new dear friend back!!

    ReplyDelete