Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Trip to the Mall


One of the largest shopping centers in Europe is called SCS (Shopping Center Sud). 330 shops inhabit the huge expanse of Viennese commerce. Of that number, McDonalds and Cinnabon were the only ones that looked familiar. Although I am not a big mall visitor, I had a particular curiosity about how this one would be different and how it would be the same as the ones in the states.

In the parking lot, it is no different than Penn Square or the like. Cars jockey for the prize of the place to park. Smokers huddle just outside the doors in a temporary, legislated exile. The lot is full today and one of my companions tells me that it is because it is Saturday. On Sundays, everything is closed. No typo. An vast majority of the businesses of an entire nation observes a day of rest. They hey may not all go to church, but they don’t open on Sunday. I remember when businesses in the States did that, but it’s been a long time.

Upon entrance, the same scene unfolds; crowds people carrying bags of temporarily treasured merchandise. (However, the bags in which the items are carried are NOT free with purchase. If you want a bag, bring one or buy the ones at the counter).

I enter the stream of shoppers and weave in and out of the paths of a crowd that would look similar in any modern American mall, until….wait is that a dog? My belief system has to readjust. There is a non-service dog. Just walking on leash with his master. During the two-plus hour experience, I saw approximately a dozen different dogs of varying sizes and breeds. No English Bulldogs though. I never saw one doing anything but walking calmly. I was informed that unruly dogs are not tolerated, so I guess that only “top dawgs” get to go to the mall.

I picked out a cheap wallet with divider for my euros on one side and the American currency (which no store will accept) on the other, and a coin container as part of the configuration. Since no notes smaller than a five euro note exist, one’s change can fill a pocket pretty quickly. News flash! Credit cards are rarely used. People usually pay in cash. People may have cards, but it is usually to go to one of the numerous ATMs and withdraw bills with which to pay.

Prices are higher than the ones for similar items in America. However, the price listed in euros is the price. Tax has already been added in. No extra 8% punch after the sale is rung up. But don’t’ forget that the euro is worth approximately $1.35, so when you see a ten euro price tag, it is really $11.35 (ish) One thing I noticed was cellular phone (handys; to Austrians) were amazingly cheap. 20 euros a month was not uncommon. Check your plan, I bet it’s a bit (sarcasm inserted) higher,

Time for the language observation of the day:

The word- muppet.

Ussage: In the spring, I love to ride on my “muppet”

Translation: Mo-ped (scooter get it?)

The accents are located in unexpected locals in German-to-English language. In German, the D is pronounced as a T at the end of many words. The greatest pronunciation observation of the trip so far is the Minnesota “W”icings and the famous American football coach “W”ince Lombardi. The W is pronounced with a V sound, remember? Of course, my attempts to speak are so horrendous, they are just sadly tragic.

The last (and biggest) surprise I will share is the surprise I got while about to wash my hands in the Men’s room following the business of answering nature’s call. Entering the MENS restroom was a female custodial worker. The place was crowded, so she didn’t just enter what she thought was a vacant room. At least a dozen men were in various stages of the ritual of the restroom. No big deal, she was doing her job. No one else even looked twice. I, on the other hand, felt:

Awkward.

We returned to the Villa (my name for our house). I took some pictures to share and if I can figure out how, I will post them.

Tchuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment