Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thoughts on Football and the Rangers

I thought I would put into writing, my thoughts about our team, our goals, and my contribution to them. But first, wait for it, ...........

Schnitzel Consumption Count: 7

This is Sunday and I have not found an English speaking congregation with which to worship yet. I have made contact with a former Altusan living here, but their service is entirely in German. I miss the congregation of the Elm and Hudson church of Christ and although I will never be described as the most faithful of attenders of services, I do feel the weakening one experiences when not in attendance. My daily prayer is for strength, courage, and wisdom. If any readers care to contribute their prayers to our Heavenly Father for me and my family, they are coveted and will be appreciated.

This is also the beginning of "game week" We are scrimmaging the Graz Giants of the AFL (the highest division of Austrian football). They have a good solid team, a talented import group including Qb, TE, and a pair of D-ends. They will give us an idea of where we are and want to be.

Ok. Now for the aforementioned ramblings.

I came here to bring my knowledge of American Football to a team that was interested what I could contribute from 32 years coaching it combined with 15 years playing it. I do not profess to be the best, or know the most. What I WILL promise, is that when I am coaching you, you, and your improvement, is my sole focus. You are my client and without you, I have no income for what I consider, not working at all. This is more than a job. I can't describe it, but people that I know dread going to their jobs. I still get butterflies in my stomach (not unlike the ones experienced before first date, an important test, or a big game) before a practice and worry that I will not perform to the best possible standard. I will impart what I know and strive to keep learning and improving as a coach.
If we win every game 100 to 0 and do not improve in our knowledge and play of American Football, then I see it as a negative. If we want to compete at the highest levels of Austrian Football, we must raise every rep, every practice, every game to the next level.

I have been concentrating on our Defensive line. Johnathan has done an amazing job with the secondary and the pass defense aspect of the linebacker's job. Although his groundwork was exceptional, it is virtually impossible to coach all 11 players. When I arrived, I discerned that the linebackers were pretty much studs that could "learn on the fly" and the secondary was solidly in the hands of Johnathan. This leaves the D-line to me.

From my first practice, I see that the D-line is a little undersized in comparison to the O-line behemoths that we will face. However, that's not an insurmountable problem. Give me desire, unselfishness, and discipline and we will succeed. They are familiar with the concepts of our defense in which "gap control" is key (as opposed to the penetrating type that is praised so highly by the tv announcers in the D-1 and NFL games). The difference in the NFL and our level is that the Pros can both penetrate AND control their gaps. There is an tiny fraction of the world's populace that can fulfill what NFL Defensive lineman can do. Therefore, we control our gaps. If we happen to be fortunate enough to get a gifted one of these special "beasts", they can be icing for our defensive "cake".

I will speak in generalities as the players may not want their names used. Also, the process of improvement dictates that we can ALL improve everyday. I don't want to lead the reader to believe that just because someone does not play a certain technique properly today, that he never will, or that somehow, this makes him less of a player.

Our players really want to be successful. Any perceived failure (even the smallest ones) in technique is a big deal to them. Usually, when I remind them of something I see that they could do better, they already are "kicking" themselves because they already know it. The key to success in this (as everything else) is repetition of correct technique. Just like a musician improves with practice, a player improves with repetitions in practice. We have limited time in which to get these precious reps, so practice attendance is valuable. Our success will be partly to their ability and to a larger extent, to their practice habits. Our D-line will contribute mightily to our success with diligent practice habits combined with their God-given ability.

I may have already alluded to the fact that they are very respectful of titles. A coach holds respect because he is the coach. I told one of our linebackers that I was used to coaching WITH guys his age, not coaching them. And even this 20 year veteran defers to my coaching. In fact, he even coaches from his position on the field. He will stop and translate what I am saying into forceful reminders. I don't understand the words but recognize a "butt chewing" in any language. And when this guy chews on a player's butt, they listen. He enforces the practice tempo and when things begin to lag, he barks some German "reminders". I may know a few German curse words and I definitely recognize some English ones. He plays with a "hot motor" and has explosive fast twitch muscle quickness. This translates into some EXCEPTIONAL hits. I can't wait for them to be directed toward our opponents. By example, he is raising the level of play of his teammates. The other linebackers are already improving on their game (which is pretty darn good already). This defense is designed for the linebackers to make the plays. This corp of linebackers is the type that will make them.

The secondary has some of the most savvy and game-wise players. Some of the team's best hitters roam the defensive backfield and encroaching ball carriers and would-be receivers had better prepare for some un-friendly contact when they visit. Our defense dictates that we "wall-off" receivers and deny them the chance to run their routes unimpeded. Offenses depend on timing and precision for their passing game. We intend to put your receivers on the ground (or at least destroy the timing) before the pass is thrown or the route is complete. Also, we have just begun to add the blitzes and already, I see that this will add to our arsenal.

You will the following phrase repeated continually:
Get off blocks; make plays (every offense draws plays in which they block you; you must beat the block and TACKLE)
Speaking of getting off, the owners of our "Villa" have arrived to see how we are doing. I will get off my coaching "pulpit" for now and close in order to talk to them. Flo "Assante" Seidl has offered to take me on a sight-seeing tour this week. I plan to report on that experience shortly after.

Go Rangers!




No comments:

Post a Comment