Monday, April 25, 2011

Back in the USA (for a while)

Following our game against the Raiders 2 team, in anticipation of our upcoming off-week, I boarded an Austrian Airlines jet that took me to Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris where I proceeded to get lost in the busiest airport I have ever seen. It seemed that all of humanity was there, walking toward me. No one seemed to be going the way I was. As time was running out to make my plane, a nice French information desk attendant showed me the direction of the terminal to which I was to report. After going with the teeming herds of humanity through customs and security, I made it onto my American Airlines flight to Dallas, Texas, USA.

The eleven hour flight was eased a little when I encountered American voices. One of the voices belonged to a former coach and referee from the Pacific Northwest (and his relatives and traveling companions). We had an enjoyable conversation in the terminal and then discovered that we were sitting in close proximity for the long ride home. Before I encountered the group of which I spoke, I had asked a guy ahead of me in line if this flight was going to Dallas. His one word reply,:"Yup". I then proceeded to tell him that I was so glad to here an American voice. He looked at me and explained, "I am French". Whoops. "Yup" must be an internationally flexible word.

The flight was delayed and I had to "sprint" through the Dallas airport. At one point, the customs check to re-enter the US had a line wrapped multiple times around this huge baggage area. At numerous checkpoints, I was asked for my passport, anything I had to declare, and why I didn't have any large luggage with me after returning from 2 months in Europe. After satisfying security and customs, the only thing that allowed me to make the short hop from DFW to OKC was that it was late leaving. I made it and realized how much I love the OKC airport for its small, uncrowded surroundings.

After virtually no restful sleep for 24 hours, I was energized to greet and hug my best friend as I left the arrival gates and stepped onto the red dirt of the Sooner State. We met friends and I had a long-overdue chicken fried steak. Later in the week, Meers was the site of a longhorn meat Meers burger, Fortune Cookie, and Braums biscuits were also enjoyed.
I enjoyed seeing former students and colleagues but had a funny feeling entering a place at which I taught and coached for 20 years as a visitor. I had enough time to return to my former fourth hour AP History class to tell them to "Sit down and Shut up" one more time.
I told all who would listen how much I enjoyed the city, country, and especially the team.
But my most important duties this week were to take Susan lunch during her lunch period. We ate at the reservoir and I then remembered how little time teachers get to eat.
The week literally flew by but I got to at least see friends and family a little before time to return was at hand.

We were fortunate enough to encounter a great employee of Bank of Oklahoma who helped us exchange Euros for US dollars. Earlier in the week we got to eat with Lynsey and Andrew and this day Lynsey went shopping with us as Andrew had returned to his training for his new airplane. After having a good week, Susan and I ended it with a pleasant stay in Bricktown. The fun times of the week gave way to the nagging realization that once again, we were about to be separated for 35 days. Of all the things about this experience, the separation has been, hands down, the hardest thing with which to deal.

So after a storm-delayed flight from OKC to Chicago, missing a connection and then re-booking a connection to London, and a hop from London, to Vienna, I am back in Austria. After realizing I had no working cell phone with which to call for a ride from the airport and that I had told them I would miss the flight I eventually made, that I had no ride. Added to this was the loss of my suitcase. I finally found lost and found to report the bag. I then proceeded to the train where I realized I could not buy a ticket with my 20 Euro note. (Don't try to buy U Bahn or train ticket with over a 10 euro note). A trip back into the terminal to buy a bottle of water, a purchase of a train ticket, the ride to Landstrasse station. A jump on the U Bahn to Langefeldgasse and a change to Am Shopfwerk. A half mile walk and I am back at the Villa.

Okie voices have again changed to German (and Turkish). The signs are again hard to read. Streets are now Strasses again. Please is Bitte, and there is no right turn on red after stop. And I am still separated from my best friend. But now the countdown in on. In just a few last days of school, we will be together in a beautiful city, seeing the beautiful sights and enjoying the culture and a great game that has brought me to this place. So let's get back to work. Hopefully, our players healed up some wounds and are ready to plunge into the rest of the season and see it through to its successful conclusion

We have much challenge ahead as we face some old enemies in the form of teams that want another crack at us. We must rise to these renewed challenges. Never taking anything for granted, we have to awaken each day and dedicate ourselves to improvement.

Hmm. Sounds like this game is just like the one called "life".

No comments:

Post a Comment